Note: The following instructions are for OSX/macOS. It should however be the same for Windows and Linux. You just have to know where to locate the proper configuration files for Bitcoin Core and Eclair.
Table of Contents
- Setting up Bitcoin Core
- Setting up Eclair Lightning Node
- Making Lightning Payments
1. Setting up Bitcoin Core
- Download Bitcoin Core from https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/ (Latest version: 0.16.0 as of writing)
- Edit the bitcoin configuration file (~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf) from the preferences menu and make sure you have these settings:
testnet=0 server=1 rpcuser=foo rpcpassword=bar rpcport=8332 txindex=1 zmqpubrawblock=tcp://127.0.0.1:29000 zmqpubrawtx=tcp://127.0.0.1:29000 addresstype=p2sh-segwit
- Restart Bitcoin Core and sync the entire blockchain. It might take a couple of days...
- Remember: DO NOT encrypt your wallet! (If you do, the Eclair lightning software will not be able to access the UTXOs unless you unlock them manually each time.)
- Once Bitcoin Core is fully synced, make sure you deposit some BTC in it. You need some BTC to fund the payment channels.